- Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
Early years is a key area to ensure children in your setting are given the best opportunity possible to be active for life.
- Are children in your setting fulfilling 180 minutes of physical activity per day?
- Could you see the benefit in having professional educators solely focussed on physical and creative development?
- Are you meeting delivery expectations of the physical and creative development cohorts?
- Do you need PPA cover in your nursery?
- Does your setting use structured activities other than active play?
Data shows that 41% of children who are obese at pre-school age become obese adults, meaning that children will start adulthood with an increased risk of coronary heart disease, along with other health problems. Department of Health, 2011
Essential Sports Training work with a range of private and public sector nursery schools in the South, offering a variety of programmes that help combat inactivity trends.
Our Early Years programmes follow the recommendations for physical activity in pre-school children and focus on:
- gross motor skill development and locomotor activities that children find fun;
- experiences that are enhanced by adult facilitation that provides mastery experiences (i.e. activities they can achieve successfully) and positive feedback about those experiences;
- access to play spaces, use of equipment and outdoor learning.